Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thumbnail Thursday with Abby Goldsmith


Today I'd like to welcome Abby Goldsmith to the blog. Read on to find out why you might want to take her up an offer to go to lunch, particularly if you're in Maine.

What are you working on right now?


The fifth novel in my epic science fantasy series (visit http://abbygoldsmith.com/torth/ for information). Is it foolish to write an entire linear series before getting the first book published? Many people tell me so.

What's your pre-writing ritual?

Turn on the fireplace. Make sure the dog is fed. Sit down in recliner with netbook, and write.

Tell me about your favorite story that you've published. What inspired it, and what does it mean to you?

My favorite is the first story I ever got published, in 2002. Unfortunately, the magazine went defunct and I've been unable to get the story reprinted. I might sell it in an ebook anthology or put it on my website for free. Anyway, the story is a modified excerpt from a half-completed novel that takes place in a far-future spinoff of my epic series. I may never complete that old trunk novel, but the story stands on its own, and I think it showcases my skill with characters.  I've seen it copied on a couple of random blogs, which is a form of flattery, although it never got officially reviewed.

You can have lunch with any writer, living or dead. Who would it be, and why?

Let's see. I've already had lunch with Robert Jordan and George R.R. Martin, two of my biggest influences. I'd love to do that again with either of them. Stephen King is my earliest major influence, and I haven't had lunch with him yet. That would be grand.

What's one of the best novels and/or short stories you've read recently?

I've enjoyed some nonfiction books recently, including Stealing God's Thunder (about Benjamin Franklin), Over the Edge of the World (about Magellan), and Catherine the Great.  I also just read the final book in Robert Jordan's epic Wheel of time series, which was satisfying.

Writing is a sedentary endeavor. What do you do to stay healthy and active?

My dog helps me by requiring a 30 – 60 minute walk every day. I live in a neighborhood with steep hills.

***

Visit http://abbygoldsmith.com/online.html for links to Abby's published fiction and articles. She's a freelance animator, and her extensive website includes her art gallery and an FAQ.


No comments:

Post a Comment