Monday, April 9, 2012

Green Thumb

There's something really satisfying about digging in the dirt, planting seeds and watching them grow, and eating what you've planted. And I like pulling weeds. Weird, right? But I like seeing my progress. I like making the yard look neat and tidy (yes, I'm a control freak). I like piling up tiny weed corpses. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't admit that last one. But pulling weeds gives me time to think. I think about stories I'm working on, or I think about my family, or I think about the grocery list or the latest news stories. You get the drift. I love the earthy, grassy smells, the sounds of birds twittering or kids playing in the nearby park. I love the crumbly feel of dirt between my fingers. Gardening is one of those activities that entices all the senses.

For the vegetable garden I used this method called square foot gardening, which is supposed to maximize your space. Right now it looks like I have a tiny archeological dig in the back yard. I'd post a picture, but I'm having technical issues right now.

Do you have a green thumb?

2 comments:

  1. My thumb used to be black, but after some encouragement from a very hardy succulent, I got inspired to try harder. Last year I kept an herb garden alive for over 6 months, and this year I am adding tomatoes into the mix! Here's hoping!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammie, gardening is hard! Good luck with the tomatoes and herb garden.

    ReplyDelete